Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Events leading to April 27, 2007

I hadn't been feeling 100% great, but I chalked it up to pregnancy, stress, working too much and didn't think much of it.

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and had an appointment with the diabetes nurse and nutritionist for April 26th.

On Tuesday, April 24th, I was feeling really lousy, so I called the OB on call and was told to go to the hospital. Once there, they found that I had a bladder infection and I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. They weren't strong and I didn't know what a contraction felt like, so needless to say, I was quite shocked. They gave me a shot and continued to monitor me for a little over an hour and sent me home.

On Wednesday, April 25th, I started to feel what I thought were contractions. I called my doctor and he told me to go back to the hospital. Once again, I was put on a monitor and I was having contractions, but this time they were 8-10 minutes apart, but stronger feeling. I was giving 2 shots and an oral dose, monitored and sent home on modified bed rest.

On Thursday, April 26, I did go to my diabetes appointment and a couple other small errands, but spent the rest of the day lying around. However, I once again, felt the contractions again.
I called the OB on call and she said to wait until they got closer together or stronger. I timed them all night and was woken up every 30 minutes. Since I was asleep, I don't know how strong they were, but at 5am Friday morning, I said enough was enough. I called the OB and told her I was coming in. They checked my cervix and it was closed and longed at 6am. I was having contractions every 6-8 minutes (I think) and they were definitely stronger. They did a test on me to see if I would be delivering in the next two weeks. From what I understand, the test would either be No or a maybe. It came back a maybe, which I wasn't too happy about. At 8 am, they checked me again and I was dilated 4 cm. At that point, everything went in fast motion to me. I had a bunch of people in there starting IV's, giving me a shot to help the babies' lungs develop in case they were to be born, having me sign consents, arranging to have me taken to a hospital with a level 3 NICU. I called my parents to let them know and before I knew it, I was in an ambulance. The RN was telling me how his wife went through this and they just put her on bed rest in the hospital and kept her from delivering for several weeks. I felt reassured and just figured I'd do the same. I made a few phone calls because I had a loan that I wanted to be perfect and close early. I had to cancel my massage appointment so I wouldn't get charged.....The rest of the day is in the next blog segment.

No comments: