Wednesday, May 9, 2007

April 27, 2007, Welcome to the World Robby & Jake!

After I arrived at the University of Washington Medical Center, I had an unknown amount of people in the room with me. I had I don't know how many people examining me and after they did an ultrasound, they saw that I had a prolapsed cord. I'm sure it was Jake that tied it in the knot. If you ever wondered what a prolapsed cord looks like...you'll know now!






I was told that they were planning on trying to stop my contractions, but it was too dangerous to do that in case my water broke and the boys decided to come out vaginally. The knot was in front of Jacob's head and from what I understand, he could have died if he was delivered that vaginally and it would be better to have a c-section right away. This was all such a shock to me and as much as I didn't want to have them yet, I knew that would be the best choice for them. More people came in and hooked me up to more IV's, the anesthesiaologist, the pediatrician and all their residents came in explaining things and had more consents. It was all very over whelming and I don't remember everything clearly. My parents made it to the hospital before i went into the OR and my mom was allowed to come in with me.


I went into the OR at 10:46 and the first incision was made at 11:14, the cut into my uterus at 11:21 and pulled out Robby at 11:22. Two minutes later, at 11:24, they pulled out Jacob. I was pretty upset because they asked me if I wanted to see them after they were born and I said yes, but they took them out of the room before I could see them. I had about a 1.5" bar holding the drape in front of me that I used as a mirror. I saw them cut me open and piling my body parts on my stomach, but could barely see the babies as they came out. I couldn't hear them cry because they took them so quickly. It was nothing like I expected or wanted it to be. I had the clothes on my back and didn't have my video camera or regular camera with me. Thankfully, the attending anesthesiologist knew I wanted pictures, so she took some for me! I was so thankful for that! Those pictures will be posted, but in a separate folder in case blood makes you uncomfortable. The c-section wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be (granted I had a spinal done). There was just a lot of pulling. I hadn't eaten anything since 9:30 the night before, so that helped, however, something they gave me did make me throw up, which was awful. I guess I asked them to put a lap band in, which they didn't and said something about being able to have a drink. I vaguely remember that, but I do remember when they made a comment about taking out my uterus and I told them that it should stay in me. I guess they were just going to clean it up after they took it out and put it back in. it was more painful as they were putting my body parts back in me, so I requested more drugs, which they gave me and I was closed up by 11:57 and was out of the OR at 12:13.

I was upset because I didn't get to see either of them immediately after they were born. My mom got a quick glimpse of Jacob when he came out and my dad and sister were in the hall and got a quick peek as they were wheeling them out of the OR into the ICU. I was brought back into my room and told that I would have to wait 2 hours before I could see them. They wanted the anesthesia to wear off and I had to be able to move my legs and toes before I could go see them. I've never tried so hard to move my legs and feet and when I could finally move them, the RN called to see if I could visit, but was told they were still working on both of the boys. I about went nuts! They moved me down to another floor where I would stay for the next 3 nights and I had to wait until 4pm to see them.

When we finally got the call the twins were ready for me, I was put in a wheel chair and brought up to their bedsides. It is still kind of foggy to me. My parents and sister had already been up to see them, so they knew what beds they were in. I had to ask which ones were my babies.


The following pictures are from the delivery. If blood bothers you, then you won't want to look at them!





11:22 AM- Robby coming out!



Robby being suctioned



11:24 Jacob coming out!



I love this picture of him!



Jacob being suctioned


Jake




Jake






No comments: