Friday, March 20, 2009

First Time for the Flu

Dear Jacob & Robby,

On Tuesday night, you both got up at 11:15 and were up until 2am...I wasn't quite sure why and not sure if it was because you were starting to get sick. All I know is I was so tired in the morning when we had to get up!

Robby, on Wednesday night, I knew you weren't feeling good. You did eat your dinner, although Jacob, you threw the majority of yours on the floor! ....but I could just tell you weren't yourself....and you had a fever. I took your temperature at 11pm and it was over 101.5 degrees, so I called the hospital nurse line to see when I should really worry. They were really busy and said they'd have a nurse call me. They finally called me back at 12:30 and told me if it went over 104 then to bring you in. In the meantime, I gave you a nebulizer treatment for your cough. I kept you in my room that night and checked on you every hour to make sure you didn't get too hot. At 5am on Thursday morning, your temp was up to 103.2 and you hadn't been sleeping well. I decided to bring you to the ER because I wasn't going to wait for you to get to 104.

I had to wake up Jacob as we all piled into the car and headed for the hospital. Luckily, there weren't many sick kids there that morning, so we got in quickly. They gave you more medicine and your temp finally broke. They sprayed saline in your nose and suctioned out a sample....you weren't happy about that at all and I felt so helpless as they held you down to take the sample.

The results came back that you had Influenza "A"....a flu virus that has no treatment...just rest, fluids and Tylenol. Here is a picture of you at the hospital from my camera phone. You were not happy! (One of you changed the settings on my phone and the pic is Black and white)




Grandma came over Thursday morning because I needed to go to work. I sure was tired..we were at the hospital until 9am. You both slept a good part of the day and Robby, you were extremely miserable and had the chills. When I got home from work, you looked like...well, I don't even want to say.

You both did play a little that night, but it wore you out and you didn't feel good. I was up a lot with you later that night, but Grandma spent the night so in the morning, she took over taking care of you and I got a few hours of sleep.

Jacob, you felt OK tonight (Friday), but Robby, you are still pretty miserable.




Here are the other photo's from your first flu. (Click on the pictures for a slide show)...I used my phone camera so they aren't very good!
















I should probably go to bed, but I want to update my blogs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, poor baby boys! Hang in there mom!